Posted: May 13, 2013 9:46 PM by Melissa Anderson - MTN News
Updated: May 13, 2013 9:47 PM
A Basin woman and her daughter are homeless after a wind-driven fire started by a neighbor burned out of control.
The fire was reported at around 1:30 p.m. when high winds fueled flames from a controlled burn.
Basin's volunteer fire department quickly called for reinforcements from all directions as flames spread east along the interstate.
"We were paged to a small grass fire down here in the bottoms down by the creek and it took off quick. We got on it, got on the structures, did what we could, got most of them saved, we lost one," said Basin Fire Department Captain DeDe Rhodes.
The wind-driven fire jumped Basin creek, and was soon in the backyard of 70-year old Darlene Lawrence's home, who had to evacuate.
She made it out with her pets and some clothing.
Located just feet from Darlene's home is her daughter Sonja's trailer home, which was also scorched by flames and heavy smoke and threatened by nearby propane tanks.
The old Basin VFW, which is now a quilting shop, was also licked by the hot flames as the fire rushed by it.
This is the biggest disaster that Basin has had in many years.
In all, a boat, a snowmobile, a shed and the three buildings were struck by fire.
While no one was injured during the crisis, the loss is devastating to those who became victims.
Darlene, who is among friends and family, says she is thankful for her life, yet heartbroken for the many years of memories that are now nothing but ashes: "My house is totally gone. Everything, my pictures, everything."
The state Fire Marshal will be in charge of investigating the fire.
It's not yet known if the landowner who started the fire will be responsible for the damage.