Posted: Oct 19, 2012 4:46 PM by Katy Harris KXLF News
Updated: Oct 19, 2012 4:59 PM
BUTTE - A Boy Scouts official says the Butte troop will continue to operate as normal and that safety measures have been implemented to protect scouts.
This week, the Boy Scouts of America released more than 20,000 confidential documents about sexual abuse towards young members. One case involves a leader of Troop 27 in Butte during the 1960s.
The Scout Executive of Boy Scouts of Montana says over the last 30 years the program has become safer. Adults are screened and receive training before registering with the Boy Scouts.
Its young members also receive training about potential inappropriate situations.
Scout Executive Gordon Rubard says, "We're doing lots of things to make it progressively safer and safer for our members. Reports indicate that in the past our system didn't fully work to protect our scouts. That's something we take very seriously and we want to do everything in our power, not to have that happen again."
The Butte man involved in the sexual abuse documents had previously been found guilty of a molesting charge, involving two little girls.