Posted: Sep 21, 2013 5:07 PM by Jamie Leary
Updated: Sep 21, 2013 10:28 PM
BOZEMAN - A fire has damaged the Broken Hart Ranch in Gallatin Gateway.
But a tremendous group effort saved the popular retreat from burning to the ground.
The events center at the Broken Hart Ranch was billowing smoke just before noon Saturday.
A witness said around 11:30 a.m. she walked into the barn and saw flames coming from behind the door of the kitchen.
At the same time an unknown couple with a horse trailer pulled into the ranch and immediately began helping fight the blaze.
Owner Lee Hart says he, along with the couple tried to fight the blaze with a hose before resources arrived.
At that time, another couple pulled over to lend a hand. Mr. Hart is certain that without the help of a few good samaritans the outcome would have been worse.
Several area volunteer fire departments arrived to knock out the blaze along with the Sheriff's department. At the time, officials believed the blaze was contained to the event center kitchen.
Gallatin Gateway fire crews are currently handling the investigation.
Hart couldn't tell if it began on the outside or inside of the barn.
There are no reports of injuries; damage estimates are not yet known.
We will update you as we learn more.