Posted: Jan 1, 2013 9:26 AM by MTN News
CONRAD - An 11-year-old girl from Conrad has a long road to recovery ahead of her. She was flown to a Salt Lake City hospital after her family's Christmas tree caught fire Sunday night.
Fire officials say the young girl was home alone when it happened. The tragedy has fire officials stressing the importance of taking down Christmas trees sooner rather than later.
"Christmas has been over a week, and a lot of people like leaving them up until after New Year's," Conrad Fire Chief Kevin Moritz said.
"Does the tree have the right amount of water in it? You know they are gonna dry out. You know different people have fire places, so I think the sooner you get them down after Christmas the better," he said.
Moritz says another important issue the parents need to address with their children is that when there is any sort of fire or even smoke, exit the building immediately and make calls from a safe spot.