Posted: Feb 5, 2013 7:06 PM by Katy Harris KXLF News
Updated: Feb 5, 2013 7:15 PM
A historic hotel is in the cleanup process after a fire broke out in one of the 3rd floor apartments.
This is the 4th fire in the building caused by a tenant who was smoking while on oxygen.
Public Housing Authority Manager Clarisa Hogart says, "The tv melted, I mean just incredible that the gal got out relatively unscathed. We had water standing at least 2 inches throughout this entire room and the water just kept pouring out of the light fixtures and the ceiling tiles."
Kleen King has been sucking up water and airing out carpets at the Leggat Hotel.
On Monday the building caught on fire when a tenant was smoking a cigarette while on oxygen.
When the tenant exited her apartment she left the door open, causing the heat to activate the sprinkler systems at 155 degrees.
The sprinkler system sent water all the way down the staircase to the 1st floor.
"The Fire Marshal told is it was only two of the sprinkler heads that went off but they put out 20 gallons a minute per sprinkler head and so those were probably running for at least an hour yesterday. Water was running out of the basement for about three hours," says Hogart.
There is one cool invention that may have saved the building from a lot of the smoke damage.
Hogart says, "When the alarms go off the magnet releases and so the doors close throughout the building and kept the majority of the smoke on that side, on the south side of the building."
It will take 4 or 5 days to remove all the moisture from the building because of the amount of water the sprinklers put out.
Water could be in walls of the 3rd through 1st floors and will need to be removed.
Hot air is being circulated throughout the building to remove moisture and draw it to this massive truck in the alley.
Roof tiles on the 2nd floor will have to be replaced and walls will need to be washed.
Hogart says the Leggat Hotel was built in the late 1890s.
Ironically the building was originally advertised as being fireproof, but Fire Chief Jeff Miller says there is no such thing as a fireproof building.