Posted: Sep 23, 2013 1:13 PM by John Emeigh - MTN News
Updated: Sep 23, 2013 2:58 PM
A motorist crashed into a utility pole in Butte after police say he was "huffing" dust remover Sunday evening.
Christian Crowe, 25, of Butte was arrested in connection with crashing his 1999 Honda Passport into the pole at Florence and Ottawa about 10 p.m. and then leaving the scene. Police allege Crowe was inhaling dust cleaner in order to get high and may have blacked out just before the accident.
Crowe was found that evening with his damaged vehicle parked at a residence in the 1900 block of Carolina Street. He wasn't injured, according to the police report.
Crowe faces misdemeanor counts of possession of toxic substances, hit and run and failure to report an accident by quickest means. He was released from jail early Monday after posting a bond of $2,435.
Butte Sheriff Ed Lester said inhalant abuse has been a problem in Butte this summer. Sunday's arrest was the fifth incident involving an automobile accident involving a motorist huffing in the past few months, the sheriff said.
"Huffing (dust remover) renders you unconscious quickly and that's why we're seeing so many crashes," Lester said.