Posted: Sep 16, 2013 6:08 PM by CBS News
Updated: Sep 16, 2013 6:09 PM
As many as two gunmen launched an attack Monday morning inside the Washington Navy Yard, spraying gunfire on office workers in the cafeteria and in the hallways at the heavily secured military installation in the heart of the nation's capital, authorities said.
At least 13 people were killed.
A law enforcement official told CBS News' Pat Milton the suspected shooter apparently was discovered with a handgun, an AR-15 assault rifle, and a shotgun with him and was wearing dark blue clothing.
"We are confronting yet another mass shooting," President Obama said Monday during remarks that were intended to address the financial crisis. "And today it happened on a military installation in our nation's capital."
Investigators at the scene of the Washington Navy Yard shooting on Monday morning found the military ID card of a Navy man who had worked at the Navy Yard until Friday.
They believed that he was the shooter that had been taken down in a confrontation with police that morning.
FBI Agents were staking out the man's home awaiting a search warrant when a car rolled into the driveway and that man was found to be the Chief Petty Officer whom they had believed was the suspect. That he was alive proved he was not the suspect.
This changes a lot. It means the identity they believed they had of the gunman is wrong. It means that the possible motive -- troubles the man was having with the Navy and with family -- is not the motive.
The shooter was subsequently identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis from Fort Worth, Tex., according to a U.S. official. He is a former avionics electrician with the U.S. Navy. He had been arrested at least twice previously: once in Seattle for malicious mischief, and once in Fort Worth in 2010 for discharging a firearm in public. The motive behind the attack is still unknown.